PipeDiver® is a platform for free‐swimming inspections of large diameter water and wastewater pipelines. Surveys are conducted under live operating conditions, providing condition information with minimal disruptions to service.
The PipeDiver® platform can be used for the condition assessment of multiple pipe materials by incorporating the appropriate technology. For PCCP and BWP condition assessment programs, PipeDiver® is outfitted with the Electromagnetic (EM) technology. This technology detects broken prestressing wire breaks in PCCP, broken bars in BWP, as well as large holes or perforation in the steel cylinder.
How it Works:
PipeDiver® consists of a battery module, Electromagnetic module and a tracking module. The system is neutrally buoyant and has flexible fins that are used to center the tool within the pipe and provide propulsion. Its flexible design ensures that PipeDiver® can easily navigate butterfly valves and bends in the pipeline, while travelling long distances. Data is recorded and interpreted by an experienced analyst to pinpoint and quantify locations of distress.
PipeDiver® can be inserted to the live pipeline via a simple hot tap connection and insertion sleeve, an existing access or open chamber. Once inside the line, PipeDiver® will travel with the flow of the water until it reaches a predetermined extraction point which could also be a hot tap connection and insertion sleeve, existing access, open chamber or resevoir. PipeDiver® movement and distance travelled is tracked from above ground via check points.
A flexible design allows PipeDiver® to navigate through butterfly valves and bends in the pipeline.
- Pipelines can be kept in service during inspection which greatly reduces overall inspection costs.
- Pinpoints areas of wire or bar distress to help optimize repair and replace investments.
- Minimizes the risk of pipeline ruptures that can result in public safety issues, significant property damage and extensive service interruption.
- Flexible and modular design allows it to navigate through butterfly valves and bends in the pipeline.
- Only two access points are required, one for insertion and one for extraction.
- Allows for pipe inspection at any point in time, no need to wait for scheduled pipeline shutdowns.
- No interruption to local water services.
- Capable of long range deployments.
- Prestressed concrete cylinder pipe (PCCP), Bar wrapped pipe (BWP).
- Pipe diameters from 24" to 99" (larger diameters available upon request).
- Systems available for water or pressurized wastewater line inspection.